Wonderful with yogurt.
Because you asked, Vaishali...
This is a very simple pulao with no whole spices or garam masala. The main flavor is that of ginger. It's great detox food.
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 med. white onion, sliced
- 1 cup chopped fresh cauliflower
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 cup fresh baby carrots
- 2 tbsp juice of grated ginger
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 3 cups basmati rice
- 6 cups water
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a large chef's pan
- Add the onions and sautée on medium heat until they are translucent
- Add the vinegar, juice of the ginger, all the vegetables and sautée for 5 minutes
- Wash the rice, drain all the water, and sautée for another couple of minutes on low heat
- Add the water and salt to taste. Mix everything well.
- Cook uncovered on medium-high to high heat until there is no water visible from the top. Usually between 10-20 minutes - longer for me cos I am a mile high in altitude.
- Cover, turn the heat to medium-low and cook till the rice has cooked, usually another 20-25 minutes.
- Enjoy with a plain yogurt or a raita of your choice.