I remember my first attempts at teaching my daughter the concept of opposites. She was barely three.
Me: Tall is the opposite of short. Short is the opposite of Tall. If you are not short, then you are tall. So...if you are not tall, then you are...??
She (loudly and with much exuberance): FAT!!!
Fat may not be the opposite of tall but short and fat may just be the most apt description for me right now. I am reading a book about detoxifying your whole life: from your body to your mind to your house to your relationship. It reads like a fairy tale to me. While the detox foods are not an issue, where am I going to get peace and quiet? A luxurious soak or aromatherapy in the bath? Sleep early? Meditate? Relax? Quiet music? Without having a little body jump on mine and chatter incessantly. Sigh. The book says weekend detox with friends is an excellent idea. I don't know anyone who isn't in the same boat. Perhaps there is some magic to the weekends in Sedona, after all. Sedona! Now that's a thought!
Anti-thesis to all that is my longing for an easy to make snack or appetizer. I had a tub of cream cheese with onion and chives and I also had some pepper jack cheese. It reminded me of cheese balls that I had eaten with great relish at a friend's party. Why not?
- 1 tub (8 oz) Philadelphia Chive & Onion Cream Cheese Spread
- 8 oz Pepper Jack Cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts, crushed coarsely
- Mix the cream cheese and the grated Pepper Jack cheese until well blended.
- Shape into balls about the size of a dollar coin. I usually get about 50 cheeseballs from this mixture.
- Roll in the crushed walnuts
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour so that the cheese balls recover from the warmth generated by the blending of the cheeses, the shaping and rolling.
- When they have firmed up enough, stick a toothpick into them and serve as appetizers or with crackers as snacks.
Indeed, why not...